EWC Logo

Select your language


Registration banner
Apply to register
Apply to register

Who needs to register?

You must be registered with the Education Workforce Council (EWC) to work as an education practitioner in Wales. There are 13 registration categories. You may need to register in more than one category depending on the work you do, or intend to do. You will only pay one fee, even if you are registered in more than one category. You will pay the highest fee of the categories you are registered in.

Registration categories

FeeRegistration categoryAdditional Requirements
£45 School teacher You must have Qualified Teacher Status
Independent school teacher  
Further education teacher  ** Mandatory qualifications
Principal or senior leader working in further education institutions  
Independent special post-16 institution teacher   
Adult learning practitioner ** Mandatory qualifications
Work-based learning practitioner   
Youth worker * Mandatory qualifications
£15 School learning support worker  
Independent school learning support worker  
Further education learning support worker  
Independent special post-16 institution learning support worker  
Youth support worker * Mandatory qualifications

 *If you are working towards one of the mandatory qualifications, you will be provisionally registered whilst you train.

** You are eligible to Register without a recognised qualification, but must seek to achieve one within the required time periods.

Read our statement for registrants regarding fees for 2024/25.

Applying online

When you apply for registration, make sure you include all relevant information and documentation to avoid delays in processing your application. You will need to pay an application fee when applying for registration.

After we receive your application

We assess the information and, depending on your answers, may carry out a suitability assessment. We may also ask for more information.

We will confirm if you can be registered by email. Make sure you check your spam or junk folder.

We aim to process applications within five working days. This may take longer at certain times of the year when we get a lot of applications. 

Renewing your registration annually

Registration with the EWC has to be renewed on 1 April each year.

If you are on a contract with an employer in Wales, they are legally obliged to deduct the annual renewal fee from your salary and send this to the EWC.

If you are not in contracted employment, your fee will not be taken from your salary. You will need to pay us directly. You can do this online between the beginning of February and the end of March each year.

If you have any questions about registration, please email us

How to pay

Your employer will take the fee from your salary at the end of March every year. 

If you are not employed and your fee is not paid by your employer, you will need to pay us directly. You can do this online between the beginning of February and the end of March each year.

If you are submitting a new application, the payment page is the last page of the application form.

If you have any questions about the registration fee, please email us.

Tax relief

Your registration fee is eligible for tax relief and does not affect your ability to claim tax relief on existing teacher association or union subscriptions. More information about claiming tax relief is on the claim tax relief for your job expenses page on gov.uk.