Education Workforce Council

Tel: 029 2046 0099 | Email: | Twitter link@ewc_cga | yt icon mono dark YouTube

Registration Banner
Practitioners trained outside Wales
Practitioners trained outside Wales

If you trained as a school teacher outside Wales, you can apply for recognition as a school teacher eligible to practise in Wales.

If your application is successful, we will confirm your recognition as a qualified school teacher.  This will enable you to apply for registration with the EWC in the school teacher category.

You need to be recognised as a qualified school teacher and be registered with the EWC in order to work as a school teacher in Wales.

Qualified teachers who gained QTS in England

Your award of QTS is automatically recognised in Wales if you:

  • completed your initial teacher training in England at an accredited institution; or
  • have been assessed by an accredited institution there; or
  • have followed an employment based teacher training scheme in England.

Qualified FE teachers recognised as qualified school teachers in England

If you’re a qualified FE teacher recognised as a qualified school teacher by the Teaching Regulation Agency in England, you are not recognised as a qualified school teacher in Wales. This means you cannot apply for recognition or registration as a school teacher. This includes if you’re a qualified FE teacher with QTLS.

Apply for recognition

Once we have assessed your application, we will let you know the outcome via the e-mail address used to submit your application, unless you have advised us otherwise.