Information for students undertaking courses of teacher training (for school teachers) in Wales leading to the award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
The Education Workforce Council (EWC) is responsible for the notification of award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for school teachers in Wales, on behalf of the Welsh Government. In order for the Council to issue QTS certificates to those students who successfully complete their course of teacher training at a Welsh establishment the following arrangements are made:
- each year the Council receives the details of all those students due to complete their teacher training course, in the current academic year, directly from the teacher training institutions;
- each student is then allocated a unique teacher reference number which is retained by them throughout their teaching career. They are officially notified of the number by the EWC via an email to their university account and their personal email address (where held).
- after all course results are verified by the relevant examination board, each teacher training provider in Wales submits the results to the EWC confirming that QTS should be awarded to successful students.
- the EWC will issue a certificate awarding QTS for each successful student and these are issued on 1st August.
- In order to practise as a school teacher in Wales registration with the EWC is a mandatory requirement. Please refer to the Applying for registration section of our website for further guidance. Please note you will not be able to start work without being registered.
To assist students with the registration process, EWC officers visit all ITET institution, in Wales, during the period March to June each year and make presentations to final year students. These visits are arranged to help ensure NQTs fully understand the requirements for working in Wales and it is, therefore, imperative that they attend the session planned for them.
Information for students undertaking courses of Post Compulsory teacher training (eg PCET; PGCE (FE)) in Wales.
It is important that Post Compulsory teacher training students intending to teach in further education institutions in Wales for the first time register with the Council before commencing their first teaching post (including supply work).
Please refer to the Applying for registration section of our website for further guidance and to assist students with the registration process, EWC officers will visit each training institution during the period March to June each year. These visits are arranged to help ensure students fully understand the requirements for working in Wales and it is, therefore, imperative that they attend the session planned for them. The scheduled visits for 2016 can be seen here.