The Welsh Government sets annual intake targets for recruiting students onto primary and secondary programmes of initial teacher education (ITE) in Wales. These targets take account of estimated demand for new teachers in Wales.
Using the overall targets for primary and secondary ITE programmes, we allocate intake targets to each Partnership.
As well as distinguishing between targets for primary and secondary ITE programmes, targets are further divided into undergraduate and PGCE numbers. Within secondary targets, there are specific targets for each subject pathway.
In allocating targets to Partnerships, we takes account of factors such as:
- the likelihood of the programme being able to attract sufficient high quality students to meet its target numbers
- the sustainability of the programme
- the policy and priorities of Welsh Government
- the national ITE intake targets and regional demand analysis
- consideration of recruitment data for partnerships
- cohort size to enable viability and to protect the student experience.
Intake targets for ITE programmes can be found here: