The Welsh Government sets the desired national intake for recruiting students onto primary and secondary programmes of initial teacher education (ITE) in Wales, which takes account of estimated demand for new teachers in Wales.
Using the overall desired national intake for primary and secondary ITE programmes, the EWC provides allocations to each ITE Partnership.
As well as distinguishing between allocations for primary and secondary ITE programmes, allocations are further divided into undergraduate and PGCE numbers. Within secondary allocations, there are specific allocations for each subject pathway.
In providing Partnerships with allocations, we take account of factors such as:
- the likelihood of the programme being able to attract sufficient high quality students to meet its allocated numbers
- the sustainability of the programme
- the policy and priorities of Welsh Government
- the national desired intake and regional demand analysis
- consideration of recruitment data for partnerships
- cohort size to enable viability and to protect the student experience.
The allocations for 2021-22 are here:
The allocations for 2020-21 are here:
The allocations for 2019-20 are here: