About the review
We're conducting a review of the Professional standards for further education teachers and work-based learning practitioners in Wales. Commissioned by the Welsh Government, the project is focused on developing new practical tools to help practitioners to engage with the standards. It will also involve a light-touch review of the standards themselves.
We want to ensure that the professional standards provide an accessible and practical framework that helps FE teachers and WBL practitioners to develop fulfilling careers and guides them in maintaining the highest professional standards.
The review will help us:
- understand how the professional standards are currently used in different contexts around Wales
- develop new resources to support practitioners in using the standards
- advise the Welsh Government on a light-touch update of the standards, with a focus on making them more user friendly
How will the review take place?
Our evidence-led approach will involve:
- conducting a paper-based review of the existing standards and how practitioners engage with them
- looking at how other countries and sectors approach professional standards, and considering the sort of practical resources used elsewhere to help professionals in engaging with them
- listening to the views and experiences of practitioners, employers and other key stakeholders, and working with them to develop new resources
How will the sector feed in to the review?
We'll be inviting practitioners and relevant stakeholders to have their say throughout the process. This will give us a clear understanding of their views and experiences of the professional standards.
We’ll conduct the review in three phases:
Phase 1 (June – September 2020)
- Issue questionnaires for registered FE and WBL practitioners in Wales*
- Issue questionnaires for FE and WBL employers and other stakeholders*
- Hold initial discussions with the four trade unions which represent FE and WBL practitioners
- Hold initial discussions with key organisations, such as Estyn, the NTFW and Colegau Cymru
* If you belong to any of these groups and have not received an invitation to take part, please contact us.
Phase 2 (September 2020– January 2021)
- Hold face to face interviews with key stakeholders
- Hold focus groups involving FE and WBL practitioners
Phase 3 (January – April 2021)
- Produce summary report and recommendations to the Welsh Government
- Design and develop new resources, working in partnership with practitioners and stakeholders
Get in touch