The Education Workforce Council (EWC) is responsible for the notification of award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for school teachers in Wales, on behalf of the Welsh Government.
The main ways to gain QTS in Wales are as follows:
- completion of a course of teacher training at an accredited institution in Wales; (see http://teachertrainingcymru.org/home for the details of training providers in Wales);
- completion of employment based training under the Graduate Teacher Programme (GTP); (GTP programmes in Wales are managed and delivered by three regional centres of teacher training and education on behalf of the Welsh Government. Their contact details can be found at www.teachertrainingcymru.org/node/4 )
The award of QTS for those undertaking the GTP is confirmed by the EWC. At the end of the programme, if the candidate has met the QTS standards, the recommending body will complete a recommendation for QTS form and submit this to the EWC to enable us to issue the candidate with a teacher reference number and a certificate confirming the award of QTS.
- teachers who are recognised as qualified school teachers in Scotland, Northern Ireland, or any member state of the European Economic Area (EEA) can apply for direct recognition of their status in Wales and the appropriate application forms are available to download from the links below;
QTS recognition in Wales for school teachers from Scotland (PDF 108k)
QTS recognition in Wales for school teachers from Northern Ireland (PDF 106k)
QTS recognition in Wales for school teachers from EEA (PDF 116k)
Upon receipt of any of the above application forms, the EWC will assess the application against the regulations governing the award of QTS and, if awarded, we will issue the applicant with a teacher reference number and QTS certificate. If the application for QTS is declined the applicant will be notified in writing
- school teachers who have been recommended for QTS by the States of Guernsey Education Council can also apply for direct recognition of their status in Wales;
Please note, the following individuals are not recognised as qualified school teachers in Wales and are therefore NOT eligible for registration in the category of school teacher:
- school teachers who trained in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA and who have been awarded QTS by the National College for Teaching & Leadership (NCTL) in England. This recognition is NOT recognised under Welsh regulations;
FE qualified teachers who are recognised as qualified school teachers by the NCTL and are therefore eligible to work as qualified school teachers in England only. Such individuals are NOT recognised as qualified school teachers under Welsh regulations.
- Further education teachers who hold a post compulsory teaching qualification. Those practitioners are unable to undertake the specified work of a qualified school teacher in maintained schools in Wales (save for certain exemptions).