Statutory induction has been a requirement in Wales since September 2003. On behalf of the Welsh Government, the Education Workforce Council (EWC) is responsible for a number of administrative activities associated with the induction programme set out here:
- collecting, collating and maintaining a central source of data for teachers undertaking the induction programme, to include the teacher's employment as they progress through induction, a record of their induction mentor and external verifier, a record of the induction sessions completed;
- sharing this information with the parties who are pivotal in the provision of the induction programme via the EWC's web based facility. These parties include the NQT, the NQT's induction mentor and external verifier, the induction coordinator at the LA as the appropriate body in induction;
- administering induction funding to schools;
- hosting and providing access to the online statutory induction profile via the EWC's web based facility;
- issuing induction certificates based upon induction results provided by the Appropriate Body;
- hearing induction appeals. *Guidance on the hearing of induction appeals can be found in the Fitness to Practise section of this website.
Full details of the actions required by the relevant parties to ensure that the EWC is able to fulfil these responsibilities are set out in the EWC's document, Induction – funding, tracking and recording arrangements .